Saturday, January 5, 2013

Goodbye 2012, Hello 2013

Well this year has had it's high and lows and so much as happened. 2012 was a big one for David and I. We started out the year attempting fertility treatments; Clomid/IUI for the second time since we started on the journey of trying to have a baby.  We found a doctor who had confidence that he could get us pregnant, he explained so much more than our prior doctor, and he actually gave us hope. We still were on a list with an adoption agency and were just waiting to hear from them on the next class but figured in the meantime what would it hurt to try with fertility treatments. In February we did our first IUI, and even though we did not get pregnant we ovulated! I had not ovulated in approximately 3 years, so this was a huge step forward in the right direction. We did round 2 in April and this time I not only ovulated I was pregnant! It was exciting but we were guarded as well because with fertility treatments you undergo three rounds of blood work and your numbers must be increasing at a specific rate for the pregnancy to be considered viable. Unfortunately, my numbers didn't increase like they were supposed to. I will never forget being told that within the week I would miscarry. I remember being torn between what my doctor was recommending (to stop my medicine so that the miscarriage could happen) vs. my religious and moral stance that that shouldn't be in my control. I prayed about it, and met with a friend from church who has been such a rock for me on what I should do. I was so thankful when the good Lord took that burden from me and allowed me to miscarry while still on the medicine, because emotionally I wasn't ready to make that decision. He granted me peace of not having to make that decision. I remember thinking I would have rather have miscarried and dealt with all the emotions at that time then to be told to expect to miscarry, deal with all the emotions and then actually miscarry and have to go through all those same emotions intensified again. It was an emotional roller coaster. However, throughout this terribly hard time I was so blessed with family and friends who were there for me, called me, and kept me busy. My amazing husband was my rock, even though I know inside he was a mess. We decided in May that we would try again in June once I was done with school because that would be one less stresser on me. The third round was the worst round on me because of the pain this round brought both during the procedure and after. I could barely walk or stand that entire day, which had not happened in the prior rounds. So we did the normal 2 week wait and then had that first blood test that says pregnant or not. And again this time it said I was pregnant. My initial number was higher than the last round but I wasn't allowing myself to get overly excited and we didn't share the results with anyone, not even family until after the third round of tests. Finally after the third blood work we were very excited to hear that we were in fact pregnant and my numbers were exactly where they needed to be. I took a pregnancy test also just to make sure, plus I wanted to have that memory. The remainder of this year has been a true blessing as each Friday I rejoice that we are a week further into the pregnancy. On Nov 5 we found out our little Jelly Bean was a girl, and that all is well with her health and she is growing right on track.We have successfully gotten through the first 2 trimesters with little difficulty. I have had some issues throughout the pregnancy, mainly with tailbone pain that started occurring earlier than it should, thus causing my doctor to recommend physical therapy which has helped keep the pain manageable. For me all of this I would take again and again if it means our little Jelly Bean comes when she's supposed too.We are now into our third trimester and were fortunate enough to end the year with a 4D Sonogram with our families by our side. It was a true blessing. This year Dave not only had Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off but also New Years Eve and New Years Day off. It was a pure blessing!

This year has had many ups and downs but overall was simply awesome! God has been good to us this year and immensely blessed us. He gave us strength both individually and in our marriage and brought us even closer through it all. 2012 was a journey for sure but so completely worth it. We are who we are today due to everything we experienced this year and it has made us stronger and closer than ever.

These versus were my favorite this year and got me through the year.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand" Proverbs 19:21

No comments: