Saturday, May 2, 2009

To Alex



Well my family is celebrating a huge milestone for my brother this upcoming weekend. On May 9th my little brother is graduating from College. We will both be in the real world. How crazy. I am so extremely proud of him. Alex and I have a great relationship and I thank God every day for that. A relationship that I have seen friends not experience with their siblings. I have witnessed first hand with others. I have always thought it odd that others weren't as close...but when you are young that's just how it is. I feel as we grow up our childish differences should be set aside. It makes me so sad when I see friends that despise, disrespect their siblings. I know with no doubt that no matter what Alex and I will always be close. I know if I ever needed him he would be there and if he ever needed me I would be there immediately. I think our bond is due to experiences in our lives that we have encountered together and yes we have had our differences, and we fought tons growing up but you know what...we were kids. Without Alex I honestly can't say I would be the person I am today or that I would be were I am at this point in my life. For many you have no idea what this means but just know it's the truth. He is my one and only brother and I have always been his protector, even though I haven't had to protect him from much in the past few years. My little brother has grown up so much and it amazes me. Not because I didn't think he could do it but because he did it for the most part on his own. It makes me sad to know that there was a point in his life that he couldn't come to me and I wish I could have been there for him..I wish he would have known that I NEVER would have turned my back on him. Family does NOT do this. Family loves each other for who we are. Family respects and honors each other. This past year I have seen various forms of family in a lot of different circumstances and it all has made me that much more thankful for my brother. I feel sad for those that don't have or want the relationship that I have with their siblings. Have we really been raised that this is ok and has it come to a point in this world where we don't need our family? I value my family as well as my husbands and I am blessed that outside of these two groups I have even more family that include grandparents, aunts, uncles , and cousins who love and honor us. I look to each of these groups and hope and pray with all my heart that each of them will have a relationship with our children. I know though that no matter the distance my brother will always respect and love both David and I. I know he can come over and sit with my husband and watch tv, hang out and I don't have to be there to create a conversation. I love that about my brother. He welcomes everyone in and treats everyone with respect. My brother has grown into this man these past several years, whom I am so proud of. He has so many dreams, he has friends that are amazing to him and he knows what he wants and isn't afraid to take some risks to go after it. He is much braver than I ever was or ever will be on taking chances. I know with all my heart he will succeed. I know that you all will see his work years from now and beg him to take your pictures, create art for your walls with his photographs, and you know what...you won't be able to afford him. :) heck I won't be able to afford him. Alex is one of the greatest, strongest, most humble, admirable, respectful, intelligent, loving, friendliest man any of you would ever know. If you have ever met him I think you could learn something. If you never gave him the chance or passed judgment on him, shame one you because you could obviously never be the person he is. I am so proud of him and I can not wait to see what he does in the next few years. You all may be rolling your eyes...but ask yourself this...Would each of your siblings write something similar about you? I hope the answer is yes. If your answer is no....FIX IT! Years of disrespect, evil words, and fighting can be mended you just have to try and you have to forgive and you have to apologize. But you have to be the MAN/WOMAN that God has created you to be in order to take your pride and toss it away and set differences aside, because family isn't perfect but God gave us these people for reasons, so respect why he chose these people for you to have in your life. I pray that my children will have the relationship that Alex and I have. I have no doubt they will know and be very close to their uncle.






Alex, when you read this know that I do love you. I am so proud of you, more than words can say. Follow your heart and your dreams will come true! Best of luck and God Bless you in all that you do. You know I am always here. I am so proud of you!!! Love Always!

1 comment:

Sarah Holder said...

OH MY GOD!! I cried through this whole thing! I am also sooo very proud of Alex. I can't believe that the bratty little brother we had bugging us during sleep overs in middle and high school has turned into this wonderful man. I can't wait for him to start his life and his career and I can't wait to be one of his first customers. He can come take pictures of me and Emily anytime and I will pay him whatever he wants because I know he will be worth it. Tell him how much I love him and how proud of him I am!