Thursday, May 19, 2011

National Police Week

This week is National Police Week!
"Everyday when I kiss my husband goodbye as he leaves for work I know it could be our last. This week is National Police Week. As you go about your lives take a moment to say a prayer for officers around the country and their families. Remember and give thanks for those who have paid the ultimate price to keep you safe"
I love this saying that we have all seen all over facebook this week. That first line hits close to home for me.
"Everyday when I kiss my husband goodbye as he leaves for work I know it could be our last."
It is scary to think that that last kiss, that last hug, the last words you say to him could be your last. It has become a ritual in our household that when he leaves I saw "I love you, please be safe tonight. be careful. I love you" The fear that he could not come back that next morning is pushed to the back of your mind but it is always there. It's something as an LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) wife you ALWAYS think of. And when you see that there has been a fallen officer anywhere in the United States it tugs at your heart. In my husbands short 3 years of service on the force I've been to 2 officer funerals within his department. They are experiences that are so profound and ones you never want to experience again. It breaks your heart in so many ways. You may not know exactly what that wife/spouse/family is going through but you know what those feelings may be because they are feelings as an LEO wife that you prepare yourself for and that you feel during those times of grief.

As an LEO wife you are around individuals that speak negatively about the Police, joke about the police, and just don't understand that as an LEO family you go through a fear each and every day that you may not see your loved one again. That some individual whom doesn't care about their life or anyone else's will take the life of another without thinking how that effects so many others. Then there is those that speak negatively because they got a ticket while driving and for some reason that's the polices fault. really? I'm pretty sure my husband wasn't in your car pushing your foot to the pedal or forcing you to drive recklessly, yet you are going to blame him and his colleagues? As an LEO wife you want to yell at everyone that speaks negativaly about the police because you know they speak those words now but as soon as they are in an accident, or in any kind of trouble the first thing they do is call the police. The same individuals they just spoke down about. These officers deal with people cursing, spitting, yelling, and threatening them on a DAILY basis but they do what they do because they really love their jobs. They love what they do and so they take all that abuse and with pride look forward to the next call. They put their lives on the line, the risk of never seeing their families again so that they can protect you. They are out there to protect you, me, and anybody that needs help so I ask you to thank an officer when you see them, take ownership for why you are getting a ticket, and think before you speak anything negatively about any law enforcement official. I love my LEO and I am so proud to be part of this law enforcement family. May God Bless all of these men and women and their families. We've had a lot of losses this year as a nation and I pray it starts to decrease very soon.

No comments: