Tuesday, April 23, 2013

1 month


It's already been 1 month since we were blessed 1 week early with our sweet angel. This month has flown by and been a busy whirlwind. The first week was great once we got home. Aubrey took to sleeping in her crib immediately, breastfeeding was going smoothly and all was good. Then the fun started... ;)

Rough Times
During week 2- week 3 Aubrey started spitting up A LOT and we had 2 incidents of projectile spit-up which could be considered throw up because of the amount that came out. It scared me to no end and poor baby girl didn't know what was going on. She was also much more fussy and you could tell she was having tummy issues. This got me sleeping in the guest room with her in her bassinet (Fisher Price Rock-n-play). This Rock-n-play has been one of the best things we could have ever purchased because it keeps her elevated enough to help her tummy and it cradles her. After talking to the doctor it was determined I needed to cut milk, onions, garlic, tomatoes, beans, and anything spicy from my diet to see if Aubrey's tummy got better. Several days after doing this she was back to normal. Since then I have tried to bring garlic back in but it brough the tummy issues back so garlic is out for awhile. I'm experimenting with tomatoes right now. Milk is next on the list. The doctor also told us to keep her elevated for 30 minutes after each feeding which has helped significantly. Some of this fussiness has also occured with growth spurts; which have meant one tired mommy and daddy who had to start working shifts. Daddy takes the night shift which works since he's used to that and mommy takes the day 

Breastfeeding and Weight Gain:
Aubrey has been gaining weight like a champ. We call her our little piggy. She was doing great with breastfeeding at the begining and even the lactation specialist at the hospital was impressed with her latch. However, after the upset tummy/growth spurt I ended up having to introduce the bottle to her. I had gotten to the point that by the time I got her fed, soothed her fussiness, typically cleaned whatever she spit up on and got her to sleep; I was exhausted and chose sleep over food. This was not a good thing seeing that you need to eat a good amount when breastfeeding. I just didn't have time for it all. I started pumping and we introduced the bottle to her. This would give me time to rest and eat, plus allow Dave to help out and build a even closer relationship with Aubrey. I had to literally leave the room when he would feed her though because she would refuse the bottle if I was around. Funny how babies just know you are there even if you try to hide out of their sight. We are to the point now that both Dave and I can feed her the bottle which is nice. I try to breastfeed her still but her latch has gotten bad and we typically both end up frustrated. I am 100% fine solely bottle feeding her if it's still breastmilk. My goal is to breastfeed her until at least 6 month but would love to do so for her first year. I just hope my supply will last that long. 

When Aubrey was born she was 7 lbs, at her first pediatrician appointment she was right under 7 lbs. At her 2 week appointment she was 8 lbs 1oz and at her month appointment she was 9 lbs 4oz so we are doing GREAT with her feedings.

Fun Facts

  • Aubrey was always really alert from day one but this has just improved over this month. She watches everything closely. She tracks vertically and horizontally. She loves looking at faces and you can tell she's just studying them. 
  • She prefers to sleep on her left side. 
  • She eats her hands when she's hungry which is our sign that it's food time. 
  • She has a very strong grasp and will grab anything that is around her. 
  • She loves car rides but hates stop lights. 
  • We also can't get over all the funny faces and noises she makes.
  • She's a huge wiggle worm at all times - awake or asleep. 
  • She prefers to have her arms free when sleeping and often has little spasms when sleeping; which make Dave and I laugh because it's really just to cute for words but it does not appear to bother her one bit. (She sleeps like her momma)
  • Hiccups are our enemy because she gets them at every feeding and hates them. 
She's cuter than words can describe!!! We are still trying to determine her eye color but we both are pretty sure they will be green which would make us so happy because I've always thought brown hair and green eyes would be so pretty. 




No comments: