Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Good and Bad

Well these past 3 weeks of June have been very busy.

Week 1: Was our last week of school/work!!! We were busy packing up our office because we are being moved to another school next year. Had to work on Saturday which was a bummer but it's finally over!! I finally get to enjoy my first summer off with a paycheck!

Week 2: I am currently working every Tuesday the month of June with our babies within our district. They have to be served year round. I met with a new fertility doctor this week who gave us encouraging news. He was shocked and disgusted that our prior fertility doctor had recommended IVF. He said that that should not be an option and he had 3 other options we could consider. He was a straight to the point, not sugar coating kind of person....which is my kind of person!!! His wife and himself have gone through infertility issues and so he knows first hand what we are going through. I'm looking forward to working more with him. I ended the week at a work conference (Texas Focus) which ended up being a good conference with some very interesting sessions. Plus I got to see some great friends that I haven't seen in several years.

Week 3: I've started a women's study with my Mentor from church. This past week has truly been an eye opener and has given me much more strength and confidence in what we have been going through within various areas of our lives. I praise God for this opportunity to grow!!! I went to my OBGYN today to go over all the test results that were done in May. Here is what she told me:

Test Results
FSH: (egg quality) I was at 5.4 which is good!
Estrogen: 70 which was good
Thyroid: Good/Normal
LH (Luteinizing Hormone) which is produced by ovaries was 21.9 (VERY BAD!!) it should be lower than my FSH which was 5.4 so yea very very bad.
Progesterone was tested twice to see if I ovulated on time or late. Both tests showed 0.9 and 0.8 and for ovulation it should be at least 4.0, thus not ovulating.

The Sonogram they did showed that the size of the uterus was normal, the lining (endometrium) was normal but my ovaries were showing on each 25+ cysts. This is how I was originally diagnosed with PCOS.

PCOS also is what causes the high level in my LH level. But with a high LH level, cysts, and progesterone issues she believes my body is going through a "Pseudopregnancy" state. What this is is that due to the LH level being so high my body believes it's pregnant when we all know I'm not. But I suppose when you are pregnant your LH level does go up. So because mine is up my body thinks it's pregnant and thus doesn't allow my body to ovulate because it doesn't feel it has to. When you are pregnant you don't ovulate so my body is just doing what it thinks it's suppose to.

So what now???
Well my doctor recommends they increase my Metformin intake to 1500-2000mg per day. She also recommends I get on birth control again for 3 months. Supposedly birth control helps kill all the dead eggs that are just hanging out in my system. These dead eggs are what's causing my LH level to be so high. If they can kill these eggs, my level will go down, and they will retest in 3 months. If the LH level has gone down to be under the 5.4 then they will take me off the birth control and we'll see what the next step is.

So we've got nothing until September. I have mix feelings of emotions right now but am going to stay strong in the Lord because I know he will get me through this. He has a plan and I just need to be patient.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. - Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: